GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-04 > 1019250794

From: "Chris Phillips" <>
Subject: Re: Margery Pecche or Clifford, wife of Nicholas de Criol
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 22:13:14 +0100

Doug Smith wrote:
> I have pasted in my working reconstruction of the Criols from var.
sources.
> It is not documented and is only a working hypothese. They appear to have
> intermarried with several families I am working on. I am, of course,
still
> looking for documentation.

Thanks for posting that reconstruction.

I think we can safely say that there isn't a general consensus on how these
Criols should be put together!

Incidentally, Tony Ingham has also been kind enough to send me his
reconstruction of the Criols, according to which Bertram, the husband of
Eleanor de Crevacoeur (and father of John, Bertram and Joan the wife of
Richard de Rokesle), and Nicholas, the husband of Joan d'Auberville (and
father of Nicholas the husband of Margery Pecche) are brothers - the sons of
John de Criol and Maud de Eastwell.

On the whole, I think more work is needed before we can be sure whether we
have two contemporary couples called Nicholas de Criol and Margery, or one
man who married two Margerys.

Chris Phillips

This thread: