GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-04 > 1019594556

From: (Reedpcgen)
Subject: Re: On Douglas Richardson's new books [very OT]
Date: 23 Apr 2002 20:42:36 GMT

[Ken wrote:]
<<The length of a book is very important to publishing costs and retail
pricing, so I suspect that a credit page thanking contributors to this forum
for their help and the mention of a few names would be more than sufficient.
One cannot expect individual recognition for every established correction in a
book of that size and scope.>>

NONSENSE!

If there is space for the information provided from another person(s), and the
information was deemed valuable enough to print, there is space for recognition
in that line. In EVERY footnote where information is supplied by another,
recognition should be made (do you not read history books, 'thanks to Dr. ***
for bringing this to my attention"?).

(That may be a strong reaction on my part, but I don't want what is STANDARD
practice to be passed over as something too bothersome to worry about. If the
information is valuable enough to include, it is not to much effort to state
where you got it! Some people think it's too bothersome to include sources,
but I think we recognize the folly in that presumption.)

Paul

This thread: