GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-05 > 1021334404

From: (Brad Verity)
Subject: Margaret, Illegitimate Dau. of Warwick the Kingmaker
Date: 13 May 2002 17:00:04 -0700

In researching the fascinating Huddleston family, I was surprised to
discover the following:

"Sir Richard Hudleston of Millom c.1440-1485
Eldest son of Sir John Hudleston of Millom and Mary Fenwick
marr.1465 Margaret Neville , illegitimate but acknowledged dau. of
Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, the "Kingmaker" 1428-1471. Her
mother is unknown but may have been a Tilliol, or Moresby (Cu).
The Earl gave Richard and Margaret on their marriage manors at
Blennerhasset and lands at Penrith(Cu) with rents in Coverdale (Y)
Richard thus became brother in law to Richard Duke of Gloucester when
he marr. Anne Neville, dau. of the "Kingmaker" in 1472, his first
cousin. He held many posts under Edward IVth. and Richard IIIrd.
Killed at Bosworth, leaving three children viz:
1. Richard 1476-1503 marr, to Elizabeth Dacre.DSP
2. Margaret b.c.1479 marr. Lancelot Salkeld. Many descendants.
3.Joan b.c.1480 marr. Hugh Fleming. Many descendants including the
Hudlestons of Hutton John.
Margaret Neville/Hudleston marr. 2ndly. Sir Lancelot Threlkeld 2nd. of
Yanwath. She died pre. 1502 and he, pre.1512."

I had never heard before that Warwick the Kingmaker had an
illegitimate daughter Margaret, or that Richard III had a
brother-in-law Sir Richard Huddleston, of Millom, Cumberland.

Does anyone have any further information?

Best regards, ----Brad Verity

This thread: