GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-05 > 1022823842

From: (Stewart Baldwin)
Subject: Peniarth MS 131 (was: Gwladus and Tangwystl}
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 05:44:02 GMT

On 28 May 2002 20:57:22 -0600, wrote:

>The Peniarth sources and Bartrum (who drew on them) make errors in ascribing
>the wrong mother to both Elen and Gwenllian, both proved by contemporary
>sources to be incorrect. That is why this Peniarth source cannot be trusted.

This is an extremely vague claim that you have not backed up by any
specific evidence. The quote that Giles gave from Peniarth MS 131 (at
least the one I saw) did not mention either Elen or Gwenllian. If you
are claiming that Peniarth MS 131 has such a mistake, then you should
give us the specific information, i.e., the folio number on the
manuscript along with the statement made. (If it is not Peniarth 131
that you are referring to, but one of the other manuscripts in the
collection, then the manuscript number as well as the folio should be
provided.)

So, what SPECIFICALLY does this "Peniarth source" that you are
referring to say with regard to Elen and Gwenllian, and what is the
exact reference?

Stewart Baldwin

This thread: