GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025556173

From: "Rosie Bevan" <>
Subject: Re: New PA Line to Jane Lowe
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:42:53 +1200

In England the statutes of Henry VIII, repealed in part by Edward VI and
wholly by Phillip and Mary, were revived in Elizabeth's first year, the
provision being that "no prohibition, God's law except, shall trouble or
impeach any marriage outside Levitical law". The ecclesiastical
interpretation was that consanguinity was an impediment to marriage as far
as the third degree of civil computation. A man might not marry his aunt, or
his niece, but might marry his first cousin. Relationship by the half-blood
was put on the same footing as the full-blood, and illegitimate
consanguinity was treated as equivalent to legitimate blood relationship

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04264a.htm Catholic Encyclopedia

Cheers

Rosie