GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025563569

From: "Chris Phillips" <>
Subject: Re: Another puzzle: Faucomberge and Felton
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 23:46:09 +0100

I wrote:
> Looking at the account of Fauconberge in the Complete Peerage (vol.5,
> pp.271-281), there is indeed a Fauconberge who married in or before 1366 a
> Felton heiress, and had a son John, who would have been living in 1403.
But
> it's Thomas Faucomberge marrying Constance Felton, not Walter Faucomberge
> marrying Joan Felton.
>
> CP says this Constance was "da. and h., most probably of John de Felton
(yr.
> br. of Sir William de Felton, of Edlingham, Northumberland)". One of the
> feoffees for the marriage settlement was John de Felton, chivaler; in her
> will Constance appoints Edmund Hastynges and his wife Elizabeth as
> coexecutors (Elizabeth being a daughter of Sir John de Felton (d.1396)).
In
> support of its identification of Constance's parentage CP says that her
will
> makes it clear she was of the family of Felton of Edlingham, "who are,
> moreover, known to have been cousins of the King, and there seems little
> doubt that she was the Constance who is mentioned as da. of this John de
> Felton (Coram Rege, Trin. 43 Edw. III, m.22)".
> The pedigree in the History of Northumberland. vol.7, does indeed show a
> John as younger brother of William de Felton (d. 1358), citing the same
> Coram Rege reference, and gives him a daughter Constance. On the other
hand,
> if there was such a John, it seems odd that the settlement of the Felton
> lands in 1316 is on William (the father of William who d. 1358), with
> remainder to William (d. 1358) and the heirs of his body, with successive
> remainders to Robert de la Vale and Alice his wife and her heirs, and John
> de Fenwyke and Eleanor his wife and her heirs male, with final remainder
> the right heirs of the elder William. If the elder William did have a son
> John, this would pointedly pass over him in favour of his sisters Alice
and
> Eleanor.

Looking at my copies of Felton inquisitions post mortem, I've just noticed
that the relevant plea coram rege is recited in documents associated with
the inquisition of William de Felton (d. 1367), the son of William (d.
1358). This does state that William de Felton [the father of the William who
d. 1358] gave various lands by an undated charter to his son William, with
various remainders, including one to Constance, the daughter of John de
Felton, his son, and her male heirs.

So William de Felton did have a brother John, who had a daughter Constance.
But as far as I can see, it's actually quite unlikely that this Constance is
the wife of Thomas Faucomberge. The William de Felton who made the grant was
apparently dead by May 1328 [History of Northumberland, vol.7, p.121]. The
terms of the grant suggest that his John was dead by this time, leaving only
a daughter Constance.

But according to CP vol.5, pp.276-281, the Thomas Faucomberge who married a
Constance was born in 1345, and married her "before 17 November 1366". The
John de Felton who appears as a Faucomberge feoffee at this time is
presumably the one who d. 1396 (younger son of William d.1358), whose
daughter Elizabeth was an executor of Constance Faucomberge.

The chronology seems to place Constance in the same generation as John (d.
1396). I can't help coming back to that inquisition post mortem of John's
son (d. 1403), which says that John (d. 1396) had a sister who married a
Faucomberge, and who died before 1403 leaving a son John Faucomberge aged
about 30 - all of which would fit Constance the wife of Thomas Faucomberge.
But the inquisition calls her Joan, not Constance, and calls her husband
Walter, not Thomas, Faucomberge.

It's tempting to think that the jurors made an error over the names, though
obviously there would have to be good evidence to accept that explanation.
(NB It can't be just a question of - for example - two sisters marrying two
brothers, as Constance's son John was certainly alive in 1403 and on that
hypothesis he should have been a coheir of his cousin John de Felton, along
with John the son of "Walter and Joan".)

Chris Phillips

This thread: