GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025664538

From: "Robert S Baxter" <>
Subject: RE: (no subject); de Stuteville
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:49:12 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 9:19 PM
To: ;

Tuesday, 2 July, 2002

Hello Bob,

I recall that Adrian Channing had a post to SGM some time ago re: the
Stuteville family; I also seem to recall this family (as with many others,
e.g. Bardolf, Aguillon) has not reached the stage of full reconstruction
that
has met with wide acceptance.

If my recollections are in error (which is possible, although I can't
recall why), I would be very interested in any documentation that would
place
Osmund de Stuteville of Gressenhall, Norfolk (d. ca. 1193) firmly in
relationship to any other Stuteville or d'Estuteville family.

Best regards,

John *

* John P. Ravilious

John,
Moriarity concluded that Osmund was a younger son of Robert de Stuteville
and a daughter of Hugh fitz Baldric because he held the manors of Cotyngham
and Causby which had originally belonged to Hugh fitz Baldric. He gives
Osmund two sons, William and Roger, and says that Jordan Foliot was his
eventual heir. He does not name William's wife or daughter or Richard
Foliot. The section is studded with citations from various cartalaries, as
is the rest of article on the other families. The article was originally
part of series on the descent of Lucy de Morteyn, an ancestress of William
Sargent of Malden which appeared in vols 74 and 75 of the NEHGR.
Bob

This thread: