GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025666876

From: "Sarah Reveley" <>
Subject: Umfrevilles and Reveleys
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 22:30:11 -0500

The Reveleys came, it is presumed, from Reveley (or Reaveley) , a ville and manor in the parish of Ingram, and county of Northumberland. In the beginning of the 12th century, these feudal lands were granted by the Vescis to the Umfravilles, the Lords of Redesdale.

The Umfrevilles Charter states that the Liberty of Redesdale was granted to Robert 'with-the-beard' Umfreville in 1076.

In the reign of Richard I (1189-99), it was held for the Umfravilles by William Umfraville, who was succeeded by his son Robert, who in turn had a daughter Juliana. She married Sir Hugh Morwick III.

In 1242 Gilbert de Umfraville held the ten towns by the services of two knight's fees and a sparrow hawk of a year old by ancient enfeoffment. Ingram was held by the main line of Umfraville until 1378, when Gilbert de Umfraville earl of Angus settled the lordship of Harbottle on his half-brother Thomas Umfraville; henceforward Ingram was in the possession of the younger line of Umfraville and passed to the heirs of the Talboys.

There are several reasons why I am exploring a possible connection between the Umfravilles (also spelled Umfreville) and the Reveleys:

1. Altho Burke's Peerage and Hodgson's History of Northumberland both state Reveley to be the manor house of the Reveleys, neither mention Reveleys who actually lived there.

2. The similarity of the names, Umfreville and Reveley is worth consideration.

3. Umf is a prefix that has been dropped by Scots in other countries, as has O' and Omo. Others living in Umfreville may have Anglicized the village name, as raids with Border Reivers persisted in the area.

4. Burke says that Reveley village was first recorded in 1242. That was the year Gilbert de Umfraville held Ingram and the other towns by the services of two knight's fees and a sparrow hawk of a year old by ancient enfeoffment. Reaveley was not a part of the ten towns of Coquetdale, so did it even have a name then? Was it given a name later?

My research is based upon Burke's Peerage, Hodgson's History of Northumberland, and research done on Umfrevilles on the internet, by Gary Wright, who has researched the family for ten years.

As far as I know, I am the first family historian to do any extended research on the Reveley family in England. Your thoughts on my theory would be greatly appreciated. (I can take it....;-)

Thanks,

Sarah Reveley

This thread: