GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025666936

Subject: Re: (no subject); de Stuteville
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:29:08 EDT

Tuesday, 2 July, 2002

Hello Bob,

Glad to see that Wimer 'dapiferus' was included in DP. I was in the
process to trying to verify the generations following Wimer, but this is the
line of the holders of Gressenhall and Elsing [ also called fitz Roger, de
Gressenhall,.... possibly other names by their serfs as well.......;) ] .

'Nepotes' [singular ' Nepos ' ] would in a perfect world mean Nephew;
however, during this time period the terms is best understood only as '
kinsman ' [Nepotes = kinsmen]. They could be nephews; or cousins; even
better, one could be a nephew, the other a cousin. I have heard of its use
in designating a descendant other than a child, so a grandson could be
intended.

Hope this helps.......

John *

* John P. Ravilious