GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025667537

Subject: Re: (no subject); de Stuteville
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:39:06 EDT

Tuesday, 2 July, 2002

Hello Bob,

Yes, I now see (having gone back to Rosie's earlier post) - given
Osmund de Stuteville holding lands at Cowesby and elsewhere at the time of
the 1166 assize, he certainly should * have been born in 1145 or before,

1. Accent on should - as a minor heir, presumably he would still have
been
accounted the tenant (even if under a guardian).

2. This would most likely place his mother's birth in a range of say
1115-1130. This still sounds like an additional generation (or
more)
between Helewise, mother of Osmund de Stuteville, and Hugh fitz
Baldric the Domesday tenant.

Thanks for putting me (and the chronology) back in my (its) place. :)

John

This thread: