GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025744219

From: "Rosie Bevan" <>
Subject: Re: Countess Ida, Bigod, Longespee
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:56:59 +1200

Dear Ray and Peter

Yes, thank you for this very significant post confirming the Bigod and
Longespee association.

F of F Suffolk 9 Oct 1199 [Barbara Dodwell, ed. 'Feet of Fines for the
County of Norfolk for the Reign of King John 1201-1215 ; for the County of
Suffolk for the Reign of King John 1199-1214 (London. Pipe Roll Society,
1958). p.143/4] has Hugh son and heir of Roger Bigod being granted the manor
of Staverton by Hubert de Monchensi (Munchensy, Monte Caniso). If he was an
adult at the time that would place his birth before 1178 - certainly within
the right time frame to be half brother of William Longspee.

If anyone wants me to post the text of the fine, I will. It is in latin.

Cheers

Rosie