GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025802968

From: Kay Allen AG <>
Subject: Re: Medieval Families Unit (was: Query Turner/Backshell)
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 10:16:08 -0700

If this researcher were truly a member of the Medieval unit, (s)he would
have been an employee of the Library and it would have been property of
the Library, not personal property and would still be at the Library.

Who you tracked down was probably a private researcher who happened to
submit the material along with the submission from the Medieval Unit. Did
you find the name on the Ancestral File list of submitters for that name?
If so, then that person submitted as a private individual. The submitters
are supposed to share, but circumstances change :-(

The LDS Church and the Library encourage LDS and non-members alike to send
their materials to SLC for filming and many person do so, either in life
or posthumously by bequest.

Roz Griston wrote:

> i managed to track down one of the MFU researchers. their info was all
> packed away and they were living in another state. they had no interest
> or inclination to attempt to assist in any way possible..they had done
> their research in the 1970's. sure wish they would just donate there
> boxes of stuff to an lds library..rather than it be locked away. a
> shame to waste/hoard all those clues.
> roz
>
> > Hello, Val. You probably are not going to learn anything useful by
> > trying to contact the Medieval Families Unit at the Family History
> > Library. The group extracted a lot of medieval-era information from
> > standard source books, and people who worked on that project are
> > justifiably proud of their efforts. However, not everything from the
> > MFU
> > is correct -- some of the earlier connections are impossible, and
> > this
> > doubtless because the printed sources were inaccurate.
> >
> > My advice: Everything on Ancestral File, and any patron-submitted
> > data
> > on the IGI, should be regarded as a *clue* to further research.
> >
> > *Extracted* data on the IGI, although not perfect, has a good degree
> > of
> > reliability. A look at the original record on microfilm is still
> > advisable. I, for one, wish I had understood this 30 years ago.
> > Cheers,
> > Dolly in Maryland
> > On Thu, 4 Jul 2002,
> > Lomax, Val wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone help please.
> > >
> > > I have found a reference to a possible ancestor from Keymer, Sussex
> > > in
> > > the LDS Ancestral File - Mr BACKSHELL(born abt 1672) who married
> > > Mary
> > > TURNER, whose ancestry is quite extensive on the site.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if it is possible to contact the submitters '
> > > Medieval
> > > Families' in Salt Lake City?, to find out where they would have got
> > > there information from, or indeed does anyone know if there is a
> > > medieval connection with the 2 names TURNER & BACKSHELL.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > Val Lomax

This thread: