GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025847096

From: malinda <>
Subject: Re: Umfrevilles and Reveleys
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 00:31:36 -0500

From Learned Cousin.....~m

Ivo de Vesci, said to be a companion of William the Conqueror, is supposed
to have married Alda the daughter and heir of William Tyson (Tesson),
lord of Alnwick, Northumberland & Malton, Yorkshire.

Ivo's heir was his daughter Beatrice who m. Eustace Fitz John who d. 1157.
Eustace was ancester, by his second marriage, of the lords of Halton,
Cheshire,
and Whalton, Northumberland. Their son:

William I de Vesci, who took his mother's patronymic, d. 1183; m. Burga de
Stuteville, dau. of Robert III de Stuteville of Cottingham, co. Yorkshire,
d. 1183.
Cottingham was held originally by the Domesday lord Hugh, son of Baldrick.

When Hugh died the bulk of his lands in Yorkshire passed to Robert I de
Stuteville, who was captured fighting with the king's enemies at Tinchebrai
in 1106, his lands passed to Nigel d'Aubigny and then to the the son of
Nigel, Roger de Mowbray of Thirsk, Yorks.

Robert II de Stuteville, son & heir of Robert I, did not hold lands in
England
and it was not until the reign of Steven that Robert III, son & heir of
Robert II,
recovered Cottingham.

William I de Vesi and Burga de Stuteville left Eustace who came of age in
1190 and died at the siege of Barnard Castle, m. Margaret illegitimate
dau.of
William the Lion, d. 1214, King of Scotland.

William II, son & heir came of age in 1226 and d. 1253, m. Agnes de Ferrers,
(dau of William Ferrers, Earl of Derby, d. 1254 and Sibyl de Marshall ),
leaving John d.s.p. 1289. William III, brother & heir d.s.p.s.1297. Alnwick
passed to Anthony Bec, bishop of Durham, who in 1309 conveyed it to Henry
de Percy, lord of Topcliffe, Yorks. Henry d. 1314 leaving Henry d. 1352.

[Sanders] [CP]

J.

This thread: