GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025853165

From: "Deborah Jaquiss" <>
Subject: family of Walter Stewart cousin to King Charles Stuart, II?
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 03:12:45 -0400

I hope SKS may be able to help me. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, please, I would love for SKS to point me in the right direction. I have heard that there are Stewart volumes? But I don't know what is being talked about. I'm sure you can tell me which volume, if any, that my folks are in, where copies may be found and if there is a subscription to a newsletter or something?

I have been told that our ancestor, as far back as we know about, was Walter Stewart a cousin of King Charles Stuart the Second.

Here is a quote from the book - BIOGRAPHICAL AND GENEALOGICAL HISTORY OF APPANOOSE AND MONROE COUNTIES, IOWA. by S. Thompson Lewis of 1903 P. 418-423: JOHN CRATON McDONALD "Mary Stewart, who was born September 15, 1816, in county Londonderry, Ireland, and was a daughter of Craton and Nancy (Sloan) Stewart. Her father was a son of Sir John Stewart, whose father was a son of Walter Stewart and a cousin of King Charles the Second, and removed from England to county Antrim, Ireland, in 1648. In the year 1816 Craton Stewart emigrated to the United States and settled in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. There he spent his remaining days and it was in that county that the parents of our subject married on the 25th of November, 1841. They took up their abode in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, and there lived until April, 1852, during which time six children were born to them. With their family they then moved westward, locating in Lee county, Iowa, and in March, 1854, came to Appanoose!
county, Iowa, settling in Cincinnati, where they resided until called to their final rest."

Here is my direct line as we now have it.

1. Walter Stewart + unknown
2. unknown Stewart + unknown
3. Samuel Stewart + Matilda Clark
4. Sir John Stewart + Katherine Junck
5. Craighton John Stewart + Nancy Sloan
6. Mary Stewart + Daniel McDonald
7. Nancy Sloan McDonald + Henry Jaquiss

If SKS would have any idea if any of this is true or how it relates to the Stuart Kings of England or where to research it, or to research this family at any stage in any of the places mentioned I would surely appreciate it.

TIA Deborah JAQUISS in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC, USA

This thread: