GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025873072

From: Kay Allen AG <>
Subject: Re: Umfrevilles and Reveleys
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 05:44:32 -0700

malinda wrote:

> >From Learned Cousin.....~m
>
> Ivo de Vesci, said to be a companion of William the Conqueror, is supposed
> to have married Alda the daughter and heir of William Tyson (Tesson),
> lord of Alnwick, Northumberland & Malton, Yorkshire.

Citation please.

> Ivo's heir was his daughter Beatrice who m. Eustace Fitz John who d. 1157.
> Eustace was ancester, by his second marriage, of the lords of Halton,
> Cheshire,
> and Whalton, Northumberland. Their son:
>
> William I de Vesci, who took his mother's patronymic, d. 1183; m. Burga de
> Stuteville, dau. of Robert III de Stuteville of Cottingham, co. Yorkshire,
> d. 1183.
> Cottingham was held originally by the Domesday lord Hugh, son of Baldrick.

No "k" in Baldric. He also married an Agnes. And he had a liason which resulted
in an illegitimate son.

> snipped
>
> William I de Vesi and Burga de Stuteville left Eustace who came of age in
> 1190 and died at the siege of Barnard Castle, m. Margaret illegitimate
> dau.of
> William the Lion, d. 1214, King of Scotland.

They also had a son Warin,.

> William II, son & heir came of age in 1226 and d. 1253, m. Agnes de Ferrers,
> (dau of William Ferrers, Earl of Derby, d. 1254 and Sibyl de Marshall ),
> leaving John d.s.p. 1289. William III, brother & heir d.s.p.s.1297. Alnwick
> passed to Anthony Bec, bishop of Durham, who in 1309 conveyed it to Henry
> de Percy, lord of Topcliffe, Yorks. Henry d. 1314 leaving Henry d. 1352.
>
> [Sanders] [CP]

This William married first Isabel. No issue. By Agnes also had son William III.

Source is a chart from a book on North country famili8es. Will try to get the
explicit cite when I am home.

> J.

This thread: