GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025902749

From: "Chris Phillips" <>
Subject: Re: Another puzzle: Faucomberge and Felton
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 21:59:09 +0100

> Rosie Bevan wrote:
> > I am beginning to wonder whether Eustantia and Constantia are actually
the
> > same person. The letters of the names would look very similar in
> > contemporary handwriting and I am wondering whether there has been a
> > transcription error somewhere along the line. It doesn't make an awful
lot
> > of sense for John to have named his daughter after his father's first
> wife.

I replied
> The big problem is the appearance of Margaret, Elizabeth and Constance, as
> daughters and coheirs of Constance, in the pedigree in History of
> Northumerland, vol.7, p.121. The authorities cited are various refs in
> Dodsworth's manuscripts, and "Rev. John Hodgson's Collection", and Cal.
> Close Rolls, 2 Edw III, p.335.

I had a look at the Calendar of Close Rolls reference (1327-30, p.335, 2
Edward III, m.9 [1328]).

This is an order to the escheator beyond Trent to cause Robert de Strelley
and Constance his wife, one of the daughters and co-heiress [sic] of
Constance, late the wife of William de Felton, to have seisin of her
purparty of her mother's lands, upon their finding security for the payment
of their relief, the king having, 11 May last, ordered the late escheator
beyond Trent to divide the lands that the said William held at his death of
the said inheritance by the courtesy of England into 3 parts, in the
presence of Elizabeth, the 2nd daughter and heiress and of Robert de
Strelley and Constance his wife, the 3rd daughter and heiress, and to cause
Robert Bertram and Margaret his wife, one of the daughters and co-heiresses,
to have seisin of her purparty, the king having taken Robert Bertram's
fealty, and to retain in the king's hands the purparty of Robert and
Constance and the purparty of Elizabeth, as the king has taken the fealty of
Robert de Strelley for his wife's purparty.

So there seems to be no doubt that by the time of William's death (c.1328),
the only surviving issue of Constance was these three daughters.

Chris Phillips

This thread: