GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025906861

From: malinda <>
Subject: Re: Umfrevilles and Reveleys
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 17:07:41 -0500

From Learned Cousin.....
We're having a YEEEHAHAHA sort of day.....~m

Now I am jumping up and down! I have been living with a nagging feeling
that
the Reveley name is one I have worked on before knowing you, and it was
so familiar, it was probably important!

I have just discovered why it was so familiar. A year ago I was immersed in
Alice Algood's data for her book about Ursula Bysshe who
m. (2) John Mottrom of Chicacoan (our progenitor).

Ursula Bysshe was the daughter of William Bysshe of Fenn Place,
Parish of Worth, Sussex and Margaret James, bapt. 27 Jun 1596 at
Dunstan's, Stepney, Middlesex, the daughter of Roger James of Bednal Green,
Parish of Stebunheath, Middlesex, citizen and brewer of London, who
d. 10 Dec 1596, who m. Sara Smyth, dau. of John Smyth, beer brewer of the
Parish of St. Savior, Southwark, Surrey, bur. 11 Jan 1591-2, whose
son Roger Smyth bapt. 13 July 1577 who m. by 1623, Joane Peirce who m. (1)
John Rolfe who m. (1) Pocahantas.

After Sara's husband Roger James died she married (2) 21 Nov 1598 at St.
Dunstan's, Stepney, Middlesex, Thomas Claiborne, prob. b. abt. 1557,
merchant of King's Lynn, where he was also Mayor(1592).

They were parents of two sons and three daughters. Their second son,
William Claiborne was bapt. 10 Aug 1600, his parents by then were living in
the
Parish of Crayford, co. Kent. Admitted to Pembroke College, Cambridge
(1617), he was chosen four years later (1621), by the Virginia Company to
undertake the task of Surveyor of the Colony. He arrived at Jamestowne Oct.
1621,
in the George, later becoming Secretary (1625-35), (1652-60) and Treasurer
(1642-60). In 1627 he began to develop plans to establish a trading post on
Kent Island in the Chesapeake Bay, a license was issued by King Charles I
for
Claiborne and his associates to do business of importing and exporting,
which
later was disputed and violently acquired by the Lord Baltimore in 1632.
William
Claiborne m. Elizabeth Butler with one line of descent from Henry II of
England which is well known.

William Claiborne's grandparents were Thomas Claiborne b. 1525-30, King's
Lynn,
Norfolk; d. bef 7 Dec. 1581, who m. abt. 1550 Katherine Reveley b. abt.
1530-1,
King's Lynn, Norfolk; d. abt. 22 Jun 1580, dau of George Reveley
(c.1500-1574) m Johan (c.1502-1574).

Ref: CLAIBORNE of Virginia, Descendants of Col. William Claiborne, Compiled
by John Frederick Dorman, in collaboration with Claiborne T. Smith, Jr.,
M.D., Pub. Gateway Press, Inc. Baltimore, MD 1995 [my library].

J.

This thread: