GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025977836

From: "Rick Eaton" <>
Subject: Re: Ray Phair discovers proof of Countess Ida
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 13:59:14 -0400

P.S.

I meant to add that I assume that the Earl of Salisbury was
William Longspee. Is this correct? When referring to Ralp[h
Bigod, are you discussing the knight, of Norfolk and baron
of Wem, born c. 1208, son of earl Hugh and grandson of earl
Roger?

Rick Eaton

Voice: 203.453.6261 Fax:203.453.0076

----------
>Subject: Re: Ray Phair discovers proof of Countess Ida
>Date: Fri, Jul 5, 2002, 3:05 PM
>

> It was pointed out to me,
>

>> It would seem that the evidence in question is the reference from
> the
>> registers of Philip Augustus which identified Ralph Bigod as a
> brother of
>> the Earl of Salisbury. Of course we still do not know the
> parentage of
>> "Countess Ida", but that does not detract from the importance of
> Ray
>> Phair's finding.
>
> Yes, thanks, I was guilty of missing the point and the importance
> of Ray
> Phair's finding. Sorry.
>
> I note that William Longespee was also taken prisoner at Bouvines
> (e.g. see
> CP Vol XI p 380; "Domesday Book to Magna Carta" by A L Poole p
467
> (captured
> by the bp of Beauvais).)
>
> Adrian