GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1025991501

From: "Rosie Bevan" <>
Subject: Re: Another puzzle: Faucomberge and Felton
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:38:21 +1200

Dear Chris

Thanks for looking up the Close roll entry which firmly establishes William
Felton with two wives.

On the Fauconberge front, the IPM [CIPM v.XIX ; no.386] of Joan, widow of
Thomas Faucomberge, knight, in 1408, reveals that she was holding the
wardship and marriage of John son of Walter Fauconberge of Bilton,
Yorkshire. This was for a quarter of a knight's fee in Nun Appleton near
Cawood. This establishes that there was a John son and heir of Walter
Fauconberge existing as named as heir of John Felton in 1403.

This Fauconberge cadet line appears to have been established about a hundred
year earlier a inferred by the following references.

In 1363 a John Fauconberge of Bilton was holding tenements of Sir Walter
Fauconberge in Appleton (in Aynsty) [CIPM v. XI ; no. 330]

In 1372 Sir John Chaumont was holding a bovate of land in Appleton of
Walter de Fauconberge of Bilton. [CIPM v.XIII ; no. 172]

In Kirkby's Inquest of 1287 Walter Fauconberge is returned as holding land
"APPYLTON. In eadem villa sunt xij car. terrae : quarum Walter de
Fauconbergh et alii diversi tenent iij car. de Abbate Beatae Mariae Ebor.;
et residuae ix car. tenentur de haeredibus de Brus, et haeredes de Brus de
Barone de Moubray, qui [tenet] de rege in capite. Et redd. per ann. ad finem
praedictum xviijd.q." [Kirby's Quest, Surtees Soc Pub, v.49, p.29]

"Sir John Sampson, kt, mayor of York in 1279, 1281-83, 1285, 1299 and 1300
and knight of the shire in 1298 was the son of Alan Sampson, : Alanus filius
Sampsonis" who was bailiff of York in 1253-4.
By an undated charter witnessed by Sir Simin de Kyme, Sir Richard Waleys,
Sir Robert Ughtred, Sir Mauger le Vavasor, and John son of Richard Malebis,
Richard son of Philip de Fauconberg granted to Sir John Sampson of York, kt
and to Mary his wife, "totum manerium meum in Southwod in Apelton in Aynsty"
Dodworth MS, clix, fo 204. On the 6th id Sept 1309 Sir John Sampson had
licence to have an oratory within his manor of Appleton. He died not long
after, having had issue 4 sons John, Henry Thomas and William and I believe
a daughter Constance who married Sir John Sutton of Sutton in Holderness. Of
the sons John appears to have died s.p. v.p. Thomas became a canon at York
and was much employed in state affairs (Fasi Ebor i. 430) William was living
in 1348 and Henry the eldest surviving son was certified joint lord of
Appleton with Walter de Fauconberg in 1316 and was living in 1338. "Johannes
Sampson filius et haeres Henrici Sampson" by will dated "apud Apelton, in
manerio meo" August 29 1369 [pr Oct 31 1369] desires to be buried within the
conventual church of St John the Evangelist at Nun Apelton. He left a son
Robert and a widow Emmeria. Probably Maurice son of Alan Sampson who was
instituted to the rectory at Edlington in 1252 and Matthew Sampson, bailiff
of York in 1288-89 were brothers of the above Sir John Sampson." [Kirby's
Quest, Surtees Soc Pub, v.49, p.218 ]

In the Nomina Villarum of 1316 Walter Fauconberg and and Henry Sampson are
returned as holding Appleton [Kirby's Quest, Surtees Soc Pub, v.49, p.313 ].

Cheers

Rosie