GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1026003014

Subject: Stephen Jarvis of Huntington Long Island circa 1650 - 1697
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 20:51:12 -0400

I am hoping that someone will be able to refer me to any sources that discuss the
origins or ancestory of Stephen Jarvis b? found first in in the company of his future
in-laws on the way from Salem Mass. to Huntington, Suffolk, Long Island, N. York in
the colonies. He married in Huntington in 165O (approx) Mary Porter dau of
Jonathan Porter (a sargent 1647, and selectman 1653, of Salem) and had a
number of children. Stephen Jarvis d.5 Aug 1693 Huntington, Long Island. His will
was proved 16 Apr 1694, Brookhaven, Suffolk, Long Island, N. York. "The Jarvis
Family: or the Descendants of the first settlers of that name in Mass. and Long
Island" by Jarvis, Jarvis, Wetmore and Harding is the most comprehensive
genealogy of this Jarvis family in North America up to the late 1800s. Some
members of this family believe the family originated in Staffordshire (England) and
is related to Admiral Sir John Jervis of Meaford Earl St. Vincent because of same
"contact" he made with his "cousins" on Long Island during the rebellion of the 13
colonies.
Any assistance gratefully received.

This thread: