GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1026005223

From: "Janet Crawford" <>
Subject: Irish Mandeville
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 20:32:41 -0500

"Although it has been claimed that MacQuillans are the gaelicized Mandevilles,
there is nothing of descent from Hugelin de Mandeville if such a person ever
existed. Rather, it appears likely that they were Scottish mercenaries called
galloglasses insofar as about this time period Richard de Mandeville conducted
raids on the Isle of Man with both Irish and Scottish freebooters, and they may
indeed have been related by marriage to both the O'Neills and Mandevilles for
which their descent is variously claimed. MacQuillans also appears in Western
Scotland about this time. "

I think what you might go hunting for is a marriage between a Mandeville and the heiress to a McQuillen [McQuillan/Cuilean/Cullen, etc] line. It appears that it was not uncommon in such a situation for the groom to take on the bride's surname in order to insure the inheritance. Nothing mercenary in that, of course. I have run into it in a Callinan/Cantwell relationship in Dromineer, Co. Tipperary also but I can't find the marriage record yet; it would pre-date 1650 AD.

It would also not be unheard of for a mercenary McQuillen to leave a few children behind in Scotland. It would appear that the McGibbon/Giboney line in Scotland began this way and was out of the illegitimate child of Maurice Fitzjohn, son of John of Callen. That last is open as I can make a case for it being the illegitimate child of John of Callen just as easily.

Janet Crawford

This thread: