GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1026098480

From: "brad verity" <>
Subject: Re: Royal Descent of Thomas Keys, husband of Lady Mary Grey
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 23:21:20 -0400

Thanks for the post, Adrian.

>The "Keys" family are still around, and can be found in Burke's Peerage
>under
>Keys (I was at school with one of them), but unfortunatly there is nothing
>on
>Thomas's first wife, just "m 1st _____ (d by 1565) and had three children;
>2nd 1565 secretly Lady Mary Grey ..."

It's a shame. These children of Keys (a son and a daughter, according to
HOP - I wonder where BURKE'S gets the third child) I would imagine left some
sort of record, unless they died young and unmarried. With more and more
records going into computer databses, perhaps something will turn up soon.

>Burke's states that Thomas' father was Richard but by his 1st wife Agnes
>sis
>to Sir William Saunders, not by his m2 Myldrede d of Sir John Scott of
>Scott's Hall.

HOP does not mention a marriage for Richard Keys other than Mildred Scott.
The 1530-1 Visitation of Kent (when Richard, Mildred and Thomas were all
alive), in the Scott pedigree, gives Mildred Scott three children by her
second husband Richard Keys "of Grenewyche": Thomas, William, and Sybell.

The informant, I assume, was Sir John Scott, Mildred's father, as he did not
die until Oct. 1533. Also, Mildred had a sister named Sibell and a brother
named William. HOP says Thomas Keys was born "by 1524."

The contemporary evidence of the Visitation pedigree given by Mildred's
father seems very strong that Thomas Keys was her son.

>There is more information in Burke's (I am looking at 106 Ed, 1999), if you
>do not have access to a copy, let me know.

I don't have a copy of Burke's handy. Do they say what their source is for
making Thomas Keys the son of a previous marriage of Richard?

Thanks again! Cheers, -----Brad