GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1026359887

From: "Stewart, Peter" <>
Subject: RE: Ambiguous citation in benchmark history
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:58:07 +1000

Your eminent co-authors didn't have the advantage of reading the
considerably more eminent JH Round - see his _Studies in Peerage and Family
History_ (London, 1901) and (from memory) *The Origin of the Stewarts and
their Chesney Connection* in _The Genealogist_, new series 18 (1902).

Alan fitz Flaald, lord of Oswestry & Mileham, seneschal of Dol & sheriff of
Shropshire 1138/55 was married (as her first husband) to Avelina (Ava) de
Hesdin, later wife of Robert fitz Walter of Horsford, sheriff of Norfolk.
She was daughter of Ernulf de Hesdin & Emelina, and mother of Alan's sons
Jordan, seneschal of Dol & lord of Tuxford, Nottinghamshire (living
1129/30), William, lord of Oswestry & sheriff of Shropshire (died 1160), and
Walter, 1st high steward of Scotland (died 1177).

Peter Stewart

This thread: