GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1026512308

From: "Rick Eaton" <>
Subject: Re: Ambiguous citation in benchmark history
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:18:28 -0400

I sent th3e following to peter, but since, it actually
contains some content and, perhaps, an interesting issue,
for an change, I thought that I should post it for all
interested:

peter:

This is wonderfully fascinating!

The reason that I say that is that, within the Eaton circle,
there is a rather significant debate as to whether is was
Warin de Meer de Metz, who was the Warin (Sheriff of
Shropshire) and possible relative of the Pantulfs and the de
Eytons of Eyton on the Weald Moors, or was it Warin the
Bald?

One of the most aggressive researchers of our tribe has
consistently maintained the posibility, even probability, of
the former, which others (thought to be more scholarly in
their approach and documentation) have adhered to the
latter. I must say that I, certainly not a scholar of these
timres, had researched the conclusion that Warin the Bald
was the Sheriff and progenitor of the Eytons/Eatons and not
Warin of Meer/of Metz.

The Rev. Blakeway, in his "Sheriffs of Shropshire," of which
I have a copy, refers to the Sheriff only as Warin and not
as Warin of anything or anywhere. However, Warin's
successors, according to Blakeway, were his brother Rainald
and, next, his son, Hugh (the person invoking my original
question). Blakeway notes the confusion between the two
Warins in his work.

John Corbet Anderson, in his Shropshire work, says:

"The Guarin, or Warin the Bald, who had been selected by
Earl Roger from among his barons to fill the responsible
office of

In looking at "de Metz," others have found that he was the
father of Fouke, or Fulk, FitzWarin, the apparent model for
the Robin Hood legend and a person about whom a great deal
is known. On the other hand, apparently little (because of
pre-domesday record keeping, if any) is known about Warin
the Bald.

John Corbet Anderson, in his "Shropshire, Its Early History
and Antiquites," says:

"This Guarin, or Warin the Bald, who had been selected by
Earl Roger from among his barons to fill the responsible
office of vicomté, or ßheriff of Shropshire, was, as
Odericus tells us..." The rest deals with a physical and
character description. Corbert also mentions brother Rainald
and son Hugh, saying that High died without issue and "Alan
Fitz-Flaald received the grant by Henry I, the honour of
Sheriff of Shropshire."

Then, again, Anderson, writing in 1864, does on to utter or
repeat the Macbeth/Banquo tale, leading to the FitzAlans.

Never-the-less, there has been a great deal confusion about
these contemporaneous Warins, so much so that I wonder if
you might have been caught up in it as we Eaton kind have
been.

It is not hard.

By the way, at times, it has even occurred to me that there
might have been just one Warin by all the names above
escribed. But, research to this time suggests that there
were, in fact, two persons.

The Rev. R.W. Eyton clearly supports "the bald" as the
Shropshire Sheriff and Eyton/Eaton progenitor, as does
Morris.

If you have anything to support one conclusion or the other,
I would most certainly appreciate it.

Rick Eaton

Voice: 203.453.6261 Fax:203.453.0076

----------
>From: "Stewart, Peter" <>

> The FitzWarin family of Shropshire was decended from Warin de Meer
> (aka
> Guarin de Metz), a different man. He is supposed to have come to
> England
> from Lorraine and may have been an adherent of Matilda the Empress
> during
> her brief reign as lady (or queen) of the English in 1141. This
> Warin was
> sheriff of Gloucester and died ca 1146. His wife was Miletta de
> Whittington,
> dau of Ralf ap Tewdwr & Maud Peverel, lady of Whittington,
> Shropshire.

Rick Eaton

Voice: 203.453.6261 Fax:203.453.0076

This thread: