GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1026675620

From: "Phil Moody" <>
Subject: Re: Ogilvy of Deskford
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:40:20 -0500

Hi Paul:

> There is an excellent set of books on the Grants. If I get a chance, I'll
> check them. I used to think I was descended from those Grants, who were
> closely allied with the Ogilvies of Deskford (I threw away the files after
> chopped it off).

PLM: Unlike many other surnames, Grant has only one origin; so if you have
Grant ancestry, then yours stems from the Grant of Grant, in Scotland. It is
a misnomer to believe that there are English and Scottish Grants, because
they have a common origin. Though undoubtedly, many who bear the Grant
surname, merely adopted their Chief's surname, and have no blood
relationship to the Chief's line.
I should probably clarify the "Chief's of Grant" in my earlier post,
cited in "Rulers of Strathspey", by Cassillis.

From the "Preface" to "The Rulers of Strathspey":

"Preface
The material for "The Rulers of Strathspey" was originally collected by the
Author for the article on Ogilvie-Grant, Earl of Seafield, in The Scots
Peerage edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, Lord Lyon King of Arms. A great
deal of the information collected had to be omitted owing to lack of space.
It was thought desirable to publish it in book form, especially as the need
of a Genealogical History of the Clan Grant had long been felt. It is true
that a most valuable work, "The Chiefs of Grant," by Sir William Fraser,
LL.D., was privately printed in " 1883, on too large a scale, however, to be
readily accessible. The impression, moreover, was limited to 150 copies."

PLM: I believe this work by Fraser is what you are referring to, Paul. I
have no access to Fraser's material, But I do know the LDS Library has
copies:

Vol I = GS#0277771
Vol. II = GS#0277772
Vol. III = GS#0277773

I have no idea what these numbers mean, but they were written on the
photocopy of the title page of Vol I of this work; which was kindly sent to
me by a correspondent. With a full time job, I don't have time to sit at the
LDS Family History center and read these volumes; especially since they are
only available for a short time on loan.
Naturally, I would be interested in purchasing these from the LDS, if
they were available on CD, but I don't know if this is something the Church
has considered. I am not about to purchase my own microfiche or film reader,
because I just don't have anywhere to put such an eye-sore:-)
Sir William Fraser's work is usually cited as being III volumes, but
actually there are IV, as the late Lord Strathspey mentions in his
introduction to "A History of Clan Grant";

page 2:

"Volume I is a detailed history of the Chief's and gives Grant family trees,
including the Cadet families. Volume II contains copies of letters and
correspondence, commencing with a warrant from King James to James Grant of
Freuchie dated 1534, ordering him to proceed against the Captain of Clan
Chatton and others; and ending with correspondence about volunteer companies
dated April 1793. Volumes III contains copies of 393 charters and writs of
the Grants of Grant. It commences with one by William the Lion, King of
Scotland, to Earl Gilbert of Strathearn dated 1180, and ends with marriage
articles between Ludovick Colquhoun of Luss and Marion Dalrymple dated 1728.
The documents in Volumes II and III were said to be merely a selection from
the vast Castle Grant muniments and archives. There is a fourth volume which
contains copies of the coloured prints that are in the three volumes." EQ

I know volume IV is of no consequence, but there you have it, for the
benifit of the pedantic:-) It is curious that Fraser does not include any
records later than 1793, although he published in 1883, and supposedly had
access to these omitted records.
FYI, a text version of "The Rulers of Strathspey" will be available for
sale after proofing, in a month or so, but I should mention that Cassillis
follows Fraser entirely (I will provide the URL when it is ready).

Best Wishes,
Phil

> There is an excellent set of books on the Grants. If I get a chance, I'll
> check them. I used to think I was descended from those Grants, who were
> closely allied with the Ogilvies of Deskford (I threw away the files after
> chopped it off).
>
> Paul

This thread: