GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1026692779

From: "Leo van de Pas" <>
Subject: another Ogilvy disrepancy
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:30:32 +1000

In Wood's 'Peerage of Scotland' page 580 we find

James Ogilvy, the eldest son, died before his father, 2nd February 1505-6. He married Agnes Gordon, a natural daughter of George, 2nd Earl of Huntly, and had issue, five sons and one daughter.
The sons are Alexander, James, John, Patrick and George, the daughter is Elizabeth, married to Sir James Dunbar, of Westfield.

This daughter is my question. Burke's Peerage, 1999 edition , gives the same husband for Elizabeth.

But Burke's Landed Gentry, 1937, page 1223 tells a different connection:

Alexander Irvine, of Lonmay, married in 1526, Elizabeth, daughter by Agnes Gordon,dau. of George, 2nd Earl of Huntly, of James (d.s.p. 1 February 1505-6, different day!! ) eldest son of Sir James Ogilvy, 2nd of Deskford and Findlater, and was killed v.p. 9 September 1547, at the battle of Pinkie.

Burke's Landed Gentry clearly spells out the same parents for Elizabeth but gives a different husband. Can anyone tell what is the correct marriage?
Many thanks
Leo van de Pas
Canberra, Australia

This thread: