GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1026699792

From: "Stewart, Peter" <>
Subject: RE: Ambiguous citation in benchmark history
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:26:40 +1000

I'm not sure where the doubt comes in, or on what evidence these two Warins
seperated by time & space can be mixed up together - Warin de Meer, sheriff
of Gloucester is reputed to be father of Sir Fulk fitz Warin, who was given
Alveston in Gloucestershire in 1149 and Whadborough in Leicestershire in
1156, apparently as a reward for loyalty to Henry II. This first Sir Fulk
died in 1170/before 29 September 1171, and his grandson, the third Sir Fulk
in the family (born ca 1170/5, died after 13 August 1257/ca May 1258) was
the first to hold lands in Shropshire, from 11 October 1204, after receiving
a pardon in the previous November for rebelling against King John, probably
to secure his right to the castle and barony of Whittington inherited
through his grandmother Miletta, wife of Warin de Meer.

On the other hand, Warin the Bald's known wife was Ameria, perhaps an
illegitimate niece of Roger de Montgomery, the first earl of Shrewsbury (or
Shropshire), and he was connected to this magnate from soon after the
Conquest. He was evidently dead by 1086; his son Hugo disappears from the
record soon after taking up the shrievalty of Shropshire from a step-father
in 1102, and before Earl Robert was deprived & imprisoned in 1112.

Can you outline the reasons given for questioning these apparently
conclusive distinctions?

Peter Stewart

This thread: