GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1026767286

From: "Sutliff" <>
Subject: RE: Alice countess d'Eu of Sussex
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:12:27 -0700

Hope you are not offended at my asking for sources for this
construction. Something is very wrong here and I am not sure how to help
you without knowing where this data came from. It varies widely with CP
and other sources. The children of Raoul/Ralph and Alice were:
Raoul/Ralph, Guarin, Maud and Joan. There was no marriage of Alice to
Simon de Echyngham (especially as Raoul/Ralph was still alive in 1218).
Alice's father died in 1183, which makes her birth almost certainly
before that date. Her marriage to Raoul/Ralph occurred in 1191.
Consequently, she was likely 40 or more at Raoul/Ralph's death which
makes children from a subsequent proposed marriage less likely. As best
I can tell, Alice remained in France after Raoul/Ralph's death until her
own death at La Mothe-Saint-Heray in Poitou on 15 May 1246. Please see
Alice's biography at CP V:160-6.

Henry Sutliff