GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1026771478

From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <>
Subject: Re: Siblings to Alice de Harcourt?
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:19:37 +0100

In message <>
wrote:

> Hi,
> Robert S Baxter ()in soc.genealogy.medieval for
> 2001-05-27 wrote:
>
> "Dear Tim,
>
> I have the following siblings including Alice.
>
> 1. William de Harcourt m Alice Noel dtr of Thomas Noel and Margaret le
> Strange, dtr of Guy.
> 2. Oliver de Harcourt
> 3. John de Harcourt
> 4. Robert de Harcourt m Dionysia dtr and co-heir of Pipard
> 5. Alice de Harcourt m (1) John de Limesi (2) Waleran de Newburgh.
>
> Since this information came from the Internet I cannot vouch for its
> reliability. But it is a start."
>
> In Burke's Dormant and Extinct Peerages, p. 261, the author lists the
> offspring as named. He goes on that the heir, William, called "The
> Englishman," indeed married Alice, "eldest dau. and co-heir of Sir Thomas
> Noel, of Ronton, and Ellenhall, by Margaret, his wife, eldest dau. and
> co-heir of Guy le Strange." There is more about Guy le Strange on p. 515.

Many thanks for that reply. While I have a margin of correlation that
Burke may be right in this case, his method was usually to ask the
families concerned for their pedigree. In other words he did little or
no research himself. If the families had done their work well, then
Burke was good, otherwise not. But in either case, the flaw in Burke is
that he does not tell you how to verify his information: there is no
reference to any source that one could go to to see what it really said.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe
For a patchwork of bygones: http://powys.org

This thread: