GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027104046

Subject: kidnapping question
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:45:52 EDT

In reading some historical fiction books I am under the impression kidnapping
and raping young girls; therefore, forcing the parents to allow the dastardly
deed doer to marry the young daughter was not an uncommon thing in medieval
history. Would this be a correct impression?

It triggered a memory of story I read regarding an ancestor; however, I
cannot remember which families it involved or the source. I do remember I was
searching my link to Katherine DeStafford wife of Sir John de Sutton III,
Lord Dudley. She was the daughter of Sir Ralph DeStafford and Margaret
D'Audley d/o Hugh D'Audley and Margaret de Clare. Since Katherine/Catherine
was only 13 or 14 when she died in childbirth I am wondering if she wasn't
the subject of the dilema? I do remember that the story went that when the
parents returned home and found the daughter kidnapped (and the story
indicated they knew who took her) they went to the king to demand her return;
however, the King didn't force her captive to return her home but gave the
family land in exchange for her hand in a marriage to her kidnapper. I can't
seem to find the story again so I am asking if this sounds familiar to
anyone. I am hoping I printed the story and just misfiled it!
thanks, Pam

This thread: