GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027116102

From: "Leo van de Pas" <>
Subject: Alfonso IX of Leon's family
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 08:08:18 +1000

Several years ago, someone found in ES that a particular woman, according to ES was her own grandmother. The question I have is not as bad, the link is possible, but I wonder.

In ES Volume III/3 Tafels 530a amd 530b.

530a shows the illegitimate children of Alfonso IX King of Leon.
By Teresa Gil de Souza he has a daughter :
Maria Alfonso de Leon,
married (1) Alvaro Fernandez de Lara
married (2) Suero Arias de Sarraza

Alfonso IX's legitimate son, Ferdinand III, is the father of Alfonso X, King of Castile and Leon

530b shows the illegitimate children of Alfonso X.
By Maria Alfonso de Leon, daughter of King Alfonso IX of Leon
by Tereza Gil de Sousa, a daughter is born:
Berenguela Alfonso

Is this correct that Alfonso X fathered a child by his father's (illegitimate) sister?
Many thanks, hope the messages are coming through, as I haven't seen many either.
Best wishes
Leo van de Pas
Canberra, Australia

This thread: