GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027119583

From: Don Stone <>
Subject: Re: kidnapping question
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:59:43 -0400

wrote:

> In reading some historical fiction books I am under the impression kidnapping
> and raping young girls; therefore, forcing the parents to allow the dastardly
> deed doer to marry the young daughter was not an uncommon thing in medieval
> history. Would this be a correct impression?
>
> It triggered a memory of story I read regarding an ancestor; however, I
> cannot remember which families it involved or the source. I do remember I was
> searching my link to Katherine DeStafford wife of Sir John de Sutton III,
> Lord Dudley. She was the daughter of Sir Ralph DeStafford and Margaret
> D'Audley d/o Hugh D'Audley and Margaret de Clare. Since Katherine/Catherine
> was only 13 or 14 when she died in childbirth I am wondering if she wasn't
> the subject of the dilema? I do remember that the story went that when the
> parents returned home and found the daughter kidnapped (and the story
> indicated they knew who took her) they went to the king to demand her return;
> however, the King didn't force her captive to return her home but gave the
> family land in exchange for her hand in a marriage to her kidnapper. I can't
> seem to find the story again so I am asking if this sounds familiar to
> anyone. I am hoping I printed the story and just misfiled it!
> thanks, Pam

From the sketch of Margaret de Audley on p. 338 of Faris's PA2:

On 6 July 1336 a commission was appointed to enquire into a complaint by
Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley, soon to be created Earl of Gloucester, that
Ralph de Stafford and others (mostly relatives) broke his close at
Thaxted, Essex, carried away his goods, abducted Margaret his daughter and
heiress, and married her against her will. Margaret was then aged about
twelve. King Edward III intervened to protect Ralph, and, after making
his peace, Ralph and Margaret were given the reversion to a large part of
the Gloucester inheritance.

-- Don Stone

This thread: