GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027199827

From: "Todd A. Farmerie" <>
Subject: Re: No Messages
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 15:22:33 -0600

wrote:

> If you want to reply, you have to join.

Only if you want to reply using Google, but there is also
NewsGate, or any of 100,000 or more news servers throughout the
world that carry the group. Google is simply a web-based gateway
though which a person can participate in USENET, not USENET itself.

> At the bottom of every page it also
> says copyright Google 2002 ... making a mess of who legally owns the
> copyright. Since the same posts are in ROOTSWEB, both cannot hold copyright.

Neither does. Google does not claim copyright to the posting
content, only to their web page presentation. Likewise, RootsWeb
does not hold the copyright on the posts. All posts are the
intellectual property of the poster.

> Big drawbacks to GOOGLE are no spell checks, no easy saves of materials for
> your own records, difficulty in quoting from or replying to other posts, as
> you reply to the entire post and the text is repeated over and over and over
> again in entirety. Frankly, the entire system sucks.

But none of these apply to USENET itself, just the Google
gateway. Most of the participants in soc.gen.med do not use
Google. I participate through soc.gen.med. I have spell check
available. I pick what I wish to quote. I automatically save a
copy. Your complaints are not with soc.gen.med, just with the
use of the Google tools.

taf

This thread: