GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027203384

From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <>
Subject: RE: No Messages
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:16:24 +0100

In message <000001c22f8b$caa70be0$>
"John Higgins" <> wrote:

> Another reason to stay out of SGM (and to be partially thankful for the lack
> of the gateway) is that SGM is being overwhelmed by messages from Hines and
> his fellow mud-wrestlers. Aside from a couple of threads on the continuing
> question of Amy de Gaveston (including an excellent summary by Brad Verity),
> most of the traffic on SGM is devoted to flame wars initiated or continued
> by Hines and others of his ilk.

I have noticed much the same but it has now died down. Anyhw the reason
we were seeing that flame war was because someone started cross-posting
between newsgroups and brought in soc.history.medieval where the flame
war actually was. I did some experimenting with my filtering facility
and found that a filter on the content of the Newsgroups line in the
header of: *.medieval,*.medieval picked up all such cross posts. I
extended the filter to dump them in a folder called Spam where I found
they could all be deleted; if the cross-posting returns I'll alter the
filter again to plain delete all such messages.

> We may have fewer messages on Gen-Med at the moment but at least we're
> spared the high levels of trash that (it's now apparent) came through the
> gateway.

Only through the vicious habit of cross-posting.

> John Higgins
>

> "Who begot whom is a most amusing kind of hunting" - Horace Walpole

There is a terminological inexactitude here. You do not have to go
anywhere near google to receive newsgroups. Just get a news reader
program and use the news feed that most Internet Service Providers
provide. For news readers, Forte Free Agent has a good reputation:

www.forteinc.com

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe
For a patchwork of bygones: http://powys.org