GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027381393

Subject: Re: The Kindred of Hugh le Despenser (revisited)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:49:29 EDT

Monday, 22 July, 2002

Dear Chris, Rick, et al.,

One possible avenue of confirmation (accent on possible).

In CP under Ferrers of Groby (vol. V, p. 341), G. W. Watson tells us that
Sir William de Ferrers of Groby (d. bef 20 Dec 1287)

'... m., lstly, Anne, said to have been da. of
Sir Hugh le Despenser, of Ryhall,.... by Aline,
da. and h. of Sir Philip Basset.....'

This identification has not been questioned elsewhere that I have seen
(although I have not seen it proven, either; Watson provides no sources on
the subject........)

IF this identification is correct, and IF my identification of the wife
of Hugh le Despenser as a daughter of Saier IV de Quincy (see below) is
correct, then this marriage would have placed the parties in the 3rd degree
of consanguinity, to-wit:

Saier IV = Margaret
de Quincy I de Beaumont
________________I_________________________
I I
Roger de Quincy Hugh le = _________
Earl of Winchester Despenser I de Quincy
d. 25 Apr 1264 d. 1238 I
= 1) Elena of Galloway I
I I
I I
1) Margaret = William de Ferrers Hugh le Despenser
de Quincy I Earl of Derby of Ryhall & c.
Lady of Groby I d. bef 29 Mar 1254 k. at Evesham
d bef Mar I 1265
1280/1 I = Aline Basset
I d bef Apr 1280/1
I_________ I
I I
Sir William de Ferrers = Anne le Despenser
of Groby, co. Leics. I lst wife

It is certain that Sir William de Ferrers and his wife Anne, called 'Lady
of Groby' (CP p. 343 note a) were the parents of Sir William de Ferrers, b.
30 Jan 1271/2, the future lst Lord Ferrers (of Groby).

Should anyone have access to a record of a dispensation for the marriage
of Sir William and his wife Anne, in 1271 or before, that would be an
interesting (and extremely helpful) piece of substantiation, or possible
disproof......

Thanks, good luck, and good hunting.

John *

* John P. Ravilious