GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027424662

From: Cristopher Nash <c@windsong.u-net.com>
Subject: Re: The Kindred of Hugh le Despenser (revisited)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:44:42 +0100

Yes John, I've had this supposed connection sitting teasingly before
me for years, although I finally dumped it into a junk file when
discussion here on balance left unproven John de Grey's marriage to
Anne de Ferrers, your couple's supposed daughter.
(The sequence of links that'd led me to think about Anne de Ferrers
was thus so weak as to leave me without a taste for it -- how
unprofessional can a guy get?!)
Like you -- per your posting of 15 Oct 01 <re: Mother of Henry, 2d
baron of Groby> -- I'd never seen any proof offered for the marriage
(in spite of the several allusions to their supposed da. Anne de
Ferrers by CP, DNB, Hervey (Glanville), and others as recently as
F.N. Craig ("The Glanvilles and Roger God-Save-the-Ladies", TAG, vol
71, chart p 204).

The recurrent formula 'said to be' has haunted the more serious
accounts -- not only in CP V, 341, but in CP VI ('Grey of
Codnor/Ruthin/Wilton' etc), 173-74: John de Grey (d. 1323) "m.,
1stly (it is said), Anne, da. of Sir William Ferrers, of Groby, co.
Leicester, by his 1st wife, Anne, da. of Sir Hugh le Despenser, of
Ryhall... &c". The problem with this standard locution is that --
unless it's meticulously placed -- it's often (as here) unclear how
much of the proposition to which it's attached is 'said to be' the
case and how much is thought 'known' to be the case. I may apply too
tough a standard in places like this in regularly reading the
entirety as suspect pending further information. It may be certain
that William Ferrers of Groby m. Anne, da. of Sir Hugh le Despenser,
whatever the truth may be about his having a daughter Anne who --
(etc). I just don't know any more now than we did back in Oct 01
about what evidence shows it to be certain, and I think your idea of
a search for record of a dispensation is one good fresh way of
getting at this thing.

Cris

wrote --

--