GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027463626

From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <>
Subject: Re: Douglas-Villiers inquiry
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:38:33 +0100

In message <002101c23280$9d3cb7c0$>
"Larry Coats" <> wrote:

> I am finding conflicting information regarding Anne Villiers,wife of
> Robert Douglas, 8th Earl of Morton(1616-1649). Burke stipulates that
> she was the dau. of of Sir Edward Villiers but does not provide any
> particulars. Some other sources(undocumented)seem to have a mixup
> regarding the Edwards and Annes in this Villiers line.

> To cut to the chase: can anyone give me an accurate layout of this
> Villiers line(including Anne's mother's name,etc.)?

These people are just marginally off topic for this list but here goes:

From CP IX, 296:

"Robert (Douglas), [8th Douglas] earl of Morton... m. Anne, sister of
William 2nd Viscount Grandison and da. of Sir Edward Villiers, by
Barbara da. of Sir John St John."

And CP V, 75 says of Wm, 2nd viscount:

"William (Villiers), Viscount Grandison of Liverick, great-nephew [of
Oliver St John] and (according to the spec. rem. in the creaton) h. to
that peerage. He was s. and h. of Sir Edward Villiers ... by Barbara,
1st da. of Sir John St John..."

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe
For a patchwork of bygones: http://powys.org