GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027555454

Subject: Earl of Arundel/Duke of Exeter
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:11:08 EDT

The Oxford Concise DNB states that Thomas [12th - CP numbering] earl of
Arundel (1381-1415) escaped from his half brother to the continent. From CP
Vol I p 245 he was for some time in ward to John Holland Duke of Exeter...but
managed to escape to the Continent.

This implies that John Holland Duke of Exeter was half brother to Thomas earl
of Arundel, but I cannot see how this works, I assume DNB is wrong?

BTW John Holland's wife was Elizabeth d of John of Gaunt and after his murder
she m Sir John Cornwall (Baron Fanhope) whose 1st wife was Philippa daughter
of Sir Edward de Arundel (c1327->1377). This Edward was half brother to
Richard 11 Er Arundel father of the above 12 Er.

Also I note in passing that under CP Vol I, p 248 John 14 Er Arundel m. 1stly
(or, more probably, was contracted when a minor to), Constance, da. of John
Cornwall Ld Fanhope, by Elizabeth, da. of John of Gaunt.

Adrian

This thread: