GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027804395

From: The Williams Family <>
Subject: Re: The Henry Project - one year later
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 16:21:55 -0700

Hello,

It seems to me that one reason why there may be less interest in Henry II than
expected is the fact that he is a very common ancestor and at least some of his
ancestry is quite well researched. I would suggest picking another ancestor of
Edward III or his wife but not one so common as Henry. I think by using an ancestor
of Edward as the basis of any pedigree you would get the most participation as just
about everybody is interested in his ancestry.
Admittedly I'm somewhat biased here but I would suggest giving one of the
Eastern ancestors of the English kings a try. There has always been quite a bit of
fascination on soc.gen.med with Greek and Mid-Eastern nobility and royalty. I would
suggest one of these three:

1) Maria of Hungary (d. 1323) = Carlo II, Re di Napoli & Sicilia (1254 - 1309). She
is an ancestress of Philippa of Hainault in the 4th generation and is the best
gateway to Hungary in the English ancestry.

2) Yolande of Hungary (d. 1251) = Jaime I, Rey de Aragon (1205-1276). Her paternal
ancestry overlaps with Maria's but her maternal line is different.

3) Eudokia Komnena = Guillaume VIII, Seigneur de Montpellier. I believe her Komnene
ancestry mostly overlaps with the Hungarian connections with the exception of the
Synadenos family on her mother's side.

Just a thought.

Kelsey Williams

> >1. Expand the scope of the project to include a number of Henry II's
> >contemporaries in other countries (and their ancestors through the
> >tenth generation), so that a more representative sample of early
> >medieval European nobility is included.
> >
> >2. Expand the scope of the project to include some of the English
> >peerage and gentry between the twelfth and fifteenth centuries,
> >perhaps by picking one or more English individuals of the early
> >fifteenth century and then adding them and their ancestors to the
> >scope of the project.

This thread: