GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027887189

From: The Williams Family <>
Subject: Re: The Henry Project - one year later
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 15:16:06 -0700

Hello,

But is it not redundant to go over a well established ancestry? I think something
like the Henry Project would be at its best dealing with controversial lines. The
flexibility of the internet allows for a much better treatment of that sort of thing than
a book would. Besides, there remains a core of proven Eastern ancestry which can be used
as a basis for speculation.

Sincerely,
Kelsey J. Williams

Kay Allen AG wrote:

> But the Eastern ancestries are also some of the most controversial. So they are
> probably some of the most difficult on which to get positive, concrete documentation.

> The Williams Family wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > It seems to me that one reason why there may be less interest in Henry II than
> > expected is the fact that he is a very common ancestor and at least some of his
> > ancestry is quite well researched. I would suggest picking another ancestor of
> > Edward III or his wife but not one so common as Henry. I think by using an ancestor
> > of Edward as the basis of any pedigree you would get the most participation as just
> > about everybody is interested in his ancestry.
> > Admittedly I'm somewhat biased here but I would suggest giving one of the
> > Eastern ancestors of the English kings a try. There has always been quite a bit of
> > fascination on soc.gen.med with Greek and Mid-Eastern nobility and royalty. I would
> > suggest one of these three:
> >
> > 1) Maria of Hungary (d. 1323) = Carlo II, Re di Napoli & Sicilia (1254 - 1309). She
> > is an ancestress of Philippa of Hainault in the 4th generation and is the best
> > gateway to Hungary in the English ancestry.
> >
> > 2) Yolande of Hungary (d. 1251) = Jaime I, Rey de Aragon (1205-1276). Her paternal
> > ancestry overlaps with Maria's but her maternal line is different.
> >
> > 3) Eudokia Komnena = Guillaume VIII, Seigneur de Montpellier. I believe her Komnene
> > ancestry mostly overlaps with the Hungarian connections with the exception of the
> > Synadenos family on her mother's side.
> >
> > Just a thought.
> >
> > Kelsey Williams

This thread: