GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027893429

Subject: Anne de Dreux (was Re: John de Bohun m 1325 Alice de Arundel)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:02:10 EDT

Sunday, 28 July, 2002

Dear Kay, and Ian,

Thanks for confirming the subject line (Baldwin II of Hainaut -> Isabel
de Conde) as valid.

While trying in my own Sisyphian way to fill in the gaps in the ancestry
of Margaret de Fiennes (d. 7 Feb 1333/4; wife of Sir Edmund de Mortimer), I
find a glaring gap that should be (hopefully) readily resolved:

Enguerrand de Fiennes (d. 1218) is shown as the son
of Eustace II de Fiennes by Anne de Dreux.

My notes show no record of the parentage of Anne de Dreux, and scanning
about shows no link provided by Paul Theroff's dynastic files (on B. G.
Lloyd's site) or on any posts to SGM.

The most likely placement seems to be as a daughter of Robert I, comte de
Dreux [younger son of Louis VI of France by Alix/Alice of Savoy], and
probably by his first wife Agnes de Garlande (d. 1143) [1]. I show only a
son Simon by this first marriage, of whom it appears he d.v.p. somewhat early
in life given the succession of his half-brother Robert II to the comital
titles (Dreux et Braine) in 1188.

Does anyone already have a solution in place as to Anne (possibly Agnes
?) de Dreux, or a reasonable theory for a solution?

Thanks, and good continued hunting.

John *

NOTES
[1] Although, unless an overriding chronological problem
is found a placement as daughter of the third wife,
Agnes de Braine [mother of most of the issue of
Robert de Dreux] is at least a possibility.

* John P. Ravilious

This thread: