GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027907781

From: Kay Allen AG <>
Subject: Re: The Henry Project - one year later
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:06:21 -0700

Not really. I believe that Stewart has found that not all the ancestry was as well
documented as had been thought.

The object of the exercise was to develop techniques witha fairly well documented focus.

If you start with controversial ancestry then, by definition, it is not well-documented. And
as we have seen so many times, things are sometimes not as well-documented as they had
seemed. They were just conventional wisdom.

The Williams Family wrote:

> Hello,
>
> But is it not redundant to go over a well established ancestry? I think something
> like the Henry Project would be at its best dealing with controversial lines. The
> flexibility of the internet allows for a much better treatment of that sort of thing than
> a book would. Besides, there remains a core of proven Eastern ancestry which can be used
> as a basis for speculation.
>
> Sincerely,
> Kelsey J. Williams
>
> Kay Allen AG wrote:
>
> > But the Eastern ancestries are also some of the most controversial. So they are
> > probably some of the most difficult on which to get positive, concrete documentation.

> > The Williams Family wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > It seems to me that one reason why there may be less interest in Henry II than
> > > expected is the fact that he is a very common ancestor and at least some of his
> > > ancestry is quite well researched. I would suggest picking another ancestor of
> > > Edward III or his wife but not one so common as Henry. I think by using an ancestor
> > > of Edward as the basis of any pedigree you would get the most participation as just
> > > about everybody is interested in his ancestry.
> > > Admittedly I'm somewhat biased here but I would suggest giving one of the
> > > Eastern ancestors of the English kings a try. There has always been quite a bit of
> > > fascination on soc.gen.med with Greek and Mid-Eastern nobility and royalty. I would
> > > suggest one of these three:
> > >
> > > 1) Maria of Hungary (d. 1323) = Carlo II, Re di Napoli & Sicilia (1254 - 1309). She
> > > is an ancestress of Philippa of Hainault in the 4th generation and is the best
> > > gateway to Hungary in the English ancestry.
> > >
> > > 2) Yolande of Hungary (d. 1251) = Jaime I, Rey de Aragon (1205-1276). Her paternal
> > > ancestry overlaps with Maria's but her maternal line is different.
> > >
> > > 3) Eudokia Komnena = Guillaume VIII, Seigneur de Montpellier. I believe her Komnene
> > > ancestry mostly overlaps with the Hungarian connections with the exception of the
> > > Synadenos family on her mother's side.
> > >
> > > Just a thought.
> > >
> > > Kelsey Williams

This thread: