GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1027910024

From: Kay Allen AG <>
Subject: Re: Anne de Dreux (was Re: John de Bohun m 1325 Alice de Arundel)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:43:44 -0700

My Fiennes do not seem to agree with your Fiennes.

I will give you my Enguerrands and see if they tally with any of your
Enguerrands.

The latest Enguerrand is the one who married the Conde. He was b. c. 1192 and d.
bef. 1264. He is the son of William (c.1160-1240) and Agnes Dammartain. William
is the son of Enguerrand (c. 1128-1189/90) and Sibyl de Boulogne. Enguerrand is
the son of Eustace (d. bef. 1151) and Margaret de Guisnes. Eustace son of Cinor
son of Eustace.

Does this come anywhere near close to your rendition of the line? Mine is
Moriarty's.

wrote:

> Sunday, 28 July, 2002
>
> Dear Kay, and Ian,
>
> Thanks for confirming the subject line (Baldwin II of Hainaut -> Isabel
> de Conde) as valid.
>
> While trying in my own Sisyphian way to fill in the gaps in the ancestry
> of Margaret de Fiennes (d. 7 Feb 1333/4; wife of Sir Edmund de Mortimer), I
> find a glaring gap that should be (hopefully) readily resolved:
>
> Enguerrand de Fiennes (d. 1218) is shown as the son
> of Eustace II de Fiennes by Anne de Dreux.
>
> My notes show no record of the parentage of Anne de Dreux, and scanning
> about shows no link provided by Paul Theroff's dynastic files (on B. G.
> Lloyd's site) or on any posts to SGM.
>
> The most likely placement seems to be as a daughter of Robert I, comte de
> Dreux [younger son of Louis VI of France by Alix/Alice of Savoy], and
> probably by his first wife Agnes de Garlande (d. 1143) [1]. I show only a
> son Simon by this first marriage, of whom it appears he d.v.p. somewhat early
> in life given the succession of his half-brother Robert II to the comital
> titles (Dreux et Braine) in 1188.
>
> Does anyone already have a solution in place as to Anne (possibly Agnes
> ?) de Dreux, or a reasonable theory for a solution?
>
> Thanks, and good continued hunting.
>
> John *
>
> NOTES
> [1] Although, unless an overriding chronological problem
> is found a placement as daughter of the third wife,
> Agnes de Braine [mother of most of the issue of
> Robert de Dreux] is at least a possibility.
>
> * John P. Ravilious

This thread: