GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1028065814

From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <>
Subject: Re: Alexander/Donald line out of Scotland
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:50:14 +0100

In message <>
wrote:

> If this is the wrong forum to which I should direct this question,
> please advise; however, after reading from this list daily I find I
> don't think I could find a more knowledgeable group of researchers.
>
> I have an Scottish ALEXANDER line that claims to be from Angus Og, but
> here's my problem with that:
>
> Backing the line up to Somerled, Viking King....Somerled had a son named
> Ranald who had a son named Donald, Lord of the Isles - Head of Clan
> Donald. Donald had 2 sons, Angus Mor and Alistair Mor. Angus Mor had 2
> sons, Alistair Og and Angus Og. Story goes, Alistair Og did not side
> with the Bruce like the rest of the family so he was stripped of his
> DONALD name. He then became progenitor of Clan Alistair (Alexander)
> leaving his younger brother Angus Og to take over as Head of Clan
> Donald. I descend through Angus Og's son John, Lord of the Isles who
> married 1. Amy MacRory, 2) Margaret Stuart, daugther of Robert II, King
> of Scotland. Now my question is this: How can descendants of Angus Og
> be called Alexanders? Shouldn't they/we be called DONALD?

If you haven't already got hold of The Scots Peerage (or the CDROM
thereof) please do so as there is a long and informative article in
Volume V on the Lords of the Isles, pp. 27 to 48.

On page 40 there is this statement on the grandson of Angus Og:

"Donald, eldest sonof his father's [John son of Angus] second
marriage, succeeded as Lord of the Isles and head of the Clan Donald,
with the consent of the men of the isles."

In other words, Angus Og's descendants were indeed MacDonalds, though
surnames were not often used for the Lords of the Isles. Have a look at
this excellent volume and judge for yourself.

> If it helps, this Alexander line is sometimes referred to as the
> Alexanders of Menstrie, Stirling, Scotland. I keep thinking I am
> missing something simple. Surely after all these hundreds of years I
> can't be the only person who has questioned this. So far, questions to
> Clan Alistair and to Clan Donald have gone unanswered. Just as an
> auxiliary question: I read that John's children by his second marriage
> was not considered legitimate. Does that sound right to anyone? His
> second wife was daughter to the King of Scotland and NOT considered
> legitimate? Why would Robert II stand for that?
>
> I hope none of this is too far off base for the list.

Seems spot on target to me.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe
For a patchwork of bygones: http://powys.org