GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1028073353

From: Francisco Antonio Doria <>
Subject: From Abunazar to Ch‚moa Azevedo, I.
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:02:04 -0300 (ART)

This is intended as a sketch, but a documented one. I
will try to make clear which sources I'm using at each
step, and the assumptions that lead to the conclusions
I reach.

Before I start let me quote once again the Santo Tirso
document:

A. C. Sousa, Provas, II, 2:
Rogo autem vos, ut ex omni possibilitate vestra
teneatis illum cum suo Monasterio integro, sicut in
charta vestra dixistis, & cito Deo juvante ibo ad vos,
& dicam vobis, quod facere de beatis. Valete. Nos qui
sumus progenie neptis, atque prosapiae de Abunazar
Lavesendes, & uxor ejus Vnisca Godines, & sumus
haeredes de Monasterio Sancti Thyrsi de Ripadave hic
sumus unus quisque in generationibus suis de Lovesendo
Abunazar, Gundisalvo Nunes, Trastemiro Nunes, Egas de
Pelaez, Egas Lovesendes, tam nos quam pro omnibus
cohaeredibus nostris. De Hermigeo Abunazar, Egas
Ermigij, Nonio Ermigii, Pelagio Petri, Trastemiro
Nunes, Egas Nunes, Garsea Eneques, tam nos quam pro
omnibus haeredibus nostris. De Trastemiro Abunazar,
Gunsalvo Toderes, Menendo Peres, Suario Gondezendes
tam nos quam pro omnibus haeredibus nostris. De
Adesinda Abunazar, Toderio Pinoes, Adefonsus Petri,
Pelagius Menendes, Pineolo Garcia, Garcia Trutesendes,
tam nos quam pro omnibus haeredibus nostris. De Cide
Abunazar, Adesinda Toderis & filius ejus Suario Nunes,
& Domina Palla Deo Vote, Suario Pinoes tam per se quem
pro omnibus haeredibus suis. Pactum simul, & plazum
facimus inter nos unos ad alios per scripturam
firmitatis quinta Idus Junijs era 1130 properte de
isto Monasterio supradicto quod teneat illud Dominus
Gaudemirus Abbas de nostris manibus, & successores
ejus post eum...

(I have only modified Abuuazar ---> Abunazar, a
plausible misreading of the u for n. The Santo Tirso
document only existed in a 15th century copy when D.
António Caetano de Sousa copied it in the early 18th
century. It is dated 1092 (era 1130). Let me add that
the form Abunazar is attested in the Santa Cruz
Collection, University of Coimbra, set [maço] 194, 206
r, where one refers to Trutesendo Abunazar m. to
Vistregia in 1036, in the Maia region. Other
Portuguese authors have also independently opted for
the Abunazar form.)

We will be here interested in the fact that *Ausenda
Todereis* (see below) is descended from Cid Abunazar
and had as children Soeiro Nunes and D. Palla, Devota.
See above.

1. Abunazar Lovesendes. Indirectly attested 978 as the
founder of the Santo Tirso Monastery at Ribadave (up
from river Ave). M. Unisco Godins.

Note on the name Lovesendo: this is a rare name; it
appears in the Coimbra region, 10th/late 11th
centuries, e.g., as the name of the mother of Bishop
Crescónio (1091). Armando de Almeida Fernandes and I
(independently) derive it from Leode+sind, cf.
Leode+gild. Recall that the early Counts of Coimbra
are supposed to be descended from Leodegild and St.
Hermenegild.

Son:

2. [Fromarico] ``Cide'' Abunazar. This individual's
name is probably the origin of the late
misinterpretation of ``Dom Alboazar Ramires'' [=
Abunazar Lovesendes] as being a knight of heroic
proportions (``Cid Alboazar''). Only attested in the
1092 Santo Tirso document (above). Name of wife
unknown.

[Until here I'm more or less following Mattoso, ``A
nobreza rural portuense...'' section VI.]

Son:

3. Toderedo Fromariques ``Cid,'' or Trutesendo
Abunazar, attested between 1040 and 1070. M. Faregia
[Vistregia?] Forjaz, d. of Froia [Froila, Fruela]
Osoredes. She is attested in 1069, and possibly also
in 1036, see above. [Mattoso, l.c., section II.]

Daughter:

4. Ausenda [Adosinda] Todereis, attested 1092 (Santo
Tirso document). M. Nuno Soares ``Velho'' (Velho: the
old one), of the Bai√£o family. [Mattoso, id.]

Daughter:

5. Gontinha, dec. 1108. M. Paio Godins ``de Azevedo,''
from another branch of the Bai√£o family. Mattoso
quotes DP 269, dated 1108, in the collection
_Documentos Medievais Portugueses: Documentos
Particulares_, III, Lisboa 1940, where one has
Gontinha m. to Paio Godins and with children Nuno,
Mendo, Dorotéia [Dórdia], Onega, Maria. She had
interests in the monastery of Vair√£o, and is given in
the lineage books as a d. of Nuno Soares ``Velho'' and
of Ausenda Todereis. [Mattoso, id.]

Follows:

[See Part 2.]

Yahoo! PageBuilder
O super editor para criação de sites: é grátis, fácil e rápido.
http://br.geocities.yahoo.com/v/pb.html

This thread: