GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1028136461

From: The Williams Family <>
Subject: RE: Eudokia Komnene [was: The Henry Project -- One Year Later]
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:31:47 -0700

> > > <snip>
> > > The ODB cites the article "Die Synadenos" in the _Jahrbuch
> > > der Osterreichischen Byzantinistik_ 25 (1976), pp. 125-61 as
> > > the best source on the Synadenos family. Does anyone have
> > > access to this journal?
> >
> > I will look this up at the weekend if no-one has let us know
> > before then - however, I doubt that there is any definite
> > information about Eirene Diplosynadene.
>
> A friend has kindly spent her lunchtime saving me this trouble, and informs
> me that there is no mention at all of this Eirene, or of any other
> Diplosynadenoi, in the article cited.
>
> Peter Stewart

Thanks for telling me. I wonder what primary sources she would be likely to be mentioned in? I think she's about a generation too late to be included in Anna Komnena.

Regarding her birth and marriage, I agree that the dates seems rather odd. William of Tyre mentions the age (13) of Theodora at her marriage in 1158 so that would seem to be
well-established. If Sturdza can be trusted regarding Eudokia's birth date as 1167 then I think that her ancestry as presented in the ODB ought to be revaluated.

Sincerely,
Kelsey J. Williams

This thread: