GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1028157589

From: "Stewart, Peter" <>
Subject: RE: Eudokia Komnene [was: The Henry Project -- One Year Later]
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:25:27 +1000

I believe this birthdate must be wrong - perhaps a typo. Stiernon says she
was born in 1162, which makes sense as just about the latest likely timing.

I have little doubt that she was the youngest daughter of Isaakios Komnenos,
contrary to what ES and Sturdza say, and it would take a fairly persuasive
argument to substantiate an alternative. She was sent to Spain by Emperor
Manuel I (reputedly her uncle from contemporary accounts) after he had
negotiated her marriage to Alfonso of Aragon, but ambassadors preceding her
had been mortified to discover on arrival that the bridegroom had married
already. Guillem, heir of Montpellier, stepped into the breach, and the pair
were married in some haste, only to repent at bitter leisure. Eudokia was
known in Languedoc as "Imperatrix", much more likely if she were the niece
of the reigning emperor on her arrival there rather than just the
great-granddaughter of a dead one, as would be the case if she were merely
the daughter of Alexios.

The possibility that she was born 17 years after her only recorded sibling
isn't too remote - but then, Theodora may not have been her full sister, as
Isaakios _might_ have had another wife after Eirene Diplosynadene: third
marriages were certainly common enough to pass without special notice,
although fourth ones were rare and had been officially forbidden long
before.

Peter Stewart

This thread: