GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-07 > 1028172414

From: (Robert Todd)
Subject: Re: RSVP: The 1317 Marriage Contract, Joan Gaveston - John Multon
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 03:26:54 GMT

On 30 Jul 2002 00:36:28 GMT, (Reedpcgen) wrote:

< snip >

>It is also interesting to note that the terms of the contract stipulated that
>Joan should reside with Multon. This was generally an effort to help the
>proceedings stick (become legal fact).

The enrolment of deed witnessing the marriage agreement between the
king and Sir Thomas de Multon, Cal. of Close Rolls, 1313-1318, 20 May
1317, pg. 468 states : ".... [Sir Thomas] "ought to find his son
and Joan and their children honourable maintenance at such time as it
shall please the king or other friends of Joan's that she shall stay
with Thomas".

Note: the word for "friends". It should be translated as "kinsmen",
from the Latin word, "amicus" -- "Dictionary of Medieval Latin from
British Sources", the medieval Latin dictionary you abstracted and
posted on the newsgroup.

Thus, this was not "an effort to help the proceedings stick", but to
provide for Joan after the marriage when the king and Joan's relatives
decided they shall get married.

Note also that this arrangement had absolutely no connection or
implication to a canonical date before which marriage was
inappropriate or unacceptable.

>If, after betrothal, the children
>eventually engaged in coitus, that was held to perfect/complete the marriage.
>However, Joan was put in Amesbury for 'education' (safekeeping to preserve her
>virginity, aside from the tutoring in grace and knowledge), and she died at
>Amesbury.

The Plantagenets were concerned with more than 'education' (or
safekeeping) as you suggest. Mr. J C Parsons, in his book "Medieval
Queenship", in the section entitled "Mothers, Daughters, Marriage ,
Power: some Plantagenet Evidence" states quite clearly that the
Plantagenets 'would cultivate relationships with them and train them
for their future roles". As Joan was Edward's ward, and future wife
of a lord, she would be better prepared for her future role by being
at court than stuck far away in Amesbury.

Also, Mr Parsons states that the Plantagenets were keenly attentive to
the welfare of their young, and gives several examples of where the
members of the royal family intervened to ensure the health and safety
of their charges, so it is strange that Joan would die of illness,
again isolated from court in Amesbury,

I know that this is but a minor point, but given the political
importance of this marriage contract to Edward, I can't logically
explain her remote death stuck in a nunnery.

Robert

This thread: