GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-08 > 1029308016

From: Renia <>
Subject: Re: Royal Descents: England vs. Continental Europe
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:53:36 +0100

Jonas Kuschner wrote:

> > These are not ministerial records, by which I take it you mean church records. They are
> > goverment records of the births, marriages and deaths which have taken place in Britain
> > since 1937.

As Adrian Channing pointed out, I meant 1837.

> I do not believe they have been microfilmed. Perhaps you should visit the
> > Family Records Centre in Myddleton Street, London, to see just how many volumes of
> > indexes there are, and then multipy those volumes by the number of pages they contain,
> > and then multiply those pages by the number of names contained per page. It would be a
> > hugely expensive task to microfilm every certificate ever issued, and one which the
> > British public would probably be unwilling to pay for from their taxes, which is the
> > only way such a huge task could be completed.
> >
> > I expect it is much the same for civil records in other countries.
> >
> > The parish records maintained by the church/es is another matter and is not the domain
> > of the Family Records Centre.
> >
> > Renia
> >

> >>Jonas
> >

> OK, I didn't realize that you meant the records from after 1937, and I'm
> not familiar with the English system. I would like to visit the FRC at
> some point, but I am more interested in Scotland than in England. (I
> have once ordered a couple of certified copies through the Scots Origins
> site.)

The Scots equivalent of the FRC.

> I look at this from a Swedish perspective - in Sweden the church
> was in fact the official record-keeper until 1990, when, as part of the
> state-church separation process, this obligation was turned over to the
> local taxation authorities.
>
> What records are considered to be in the public domain? Is there a point
> in time (50 or 70 or 100 years) when records become public?

100 years. But I can't see the original certificates ever becoming in the public domain
because there are just too many of them and it would be too expensive. Most parish registers
are now in the public domain at Record Offices.

> I notice
> from the Society of Genealogists website that you referred me to that
> most or all of the older records are microfilmed. As the SoG has copies
> I suppose it is possible for anyone else to buy a copy as well.

The SoG does not hold all parish registers and of those it does hold, not all parishes are
complete. Their holdings comprise microfilmed copies made by the LDS, printed parish
registers, and typewritten copies presented by researchers. I do not know about buying
microfilm copies, but presume you can apply from the LDS.

> Jonas

Renia

This thread: