GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-09 > 1031650223

From: "Rosie Bevan" <>
Subject: Re: Stuteville of Cottingham
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:30:23 +1200

Dear Alex

There were various caputs during the time of the Stuteville family -
Cottingham, Knaresborough Castle, and Liddel Castle. Apart from the period
of confiscation 1108-1140s, Cottingham was held consistently by the family
throughout, but run down by the time Joan de Stuteville (Wake) died in 1276.
Knaresborough was held temporarily by the Stutevilles after confiscation
from the Vescy family during the time of King John.

The reason why Liddel became the caput is that it had been granted to
Robert III's second son, Nicholas, who was lord of Liddel Strength in his
own right. As he unexpectedly inherited the family estates when his nephew
died without issue, Liddel became amalgamated with those estates, and was
probably caput from that time onward.

How or why he acquired this barony is unclear. Clay EYC ix p.196 states that
his immediate predecessor was Turgis de Brundis [alias Rosedale] who was
described as "sometime lord of the manor of Liddel" in 1165. From an
unsourced account [Mike Salter, 'The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria',
1998], it appears that the Brundis family supported the Scots and were
allowed to remain in possession while they ruled Cumbria from 1136-1157,
after which the castle and manor were granted by Henry II to Nicholas.

On the death of Baldwin Wake in 1282 Liddel is described as a castle
"containing a wooden hall, with two solars, cellars and a chapel, also a
kitchen, a byre, a grange and a wooden granary which threatens ruin but
might now be repaired". In 1300 Edward I ordered Simon de Lindsay, who had
possession because of the minority of the heir, to "repair the Mote and the
fosses around it, strengthening and redressing the same and the pele and the
palisades, and making lodges within the mote if necessary for the safety of
the men-at-arms in the garrison".

"In 1342 Sir Walter Selby and his two sons were executed by by King David of
Scotland after the Scots besieged a garrison of two hundred men in the
wooden castle, storming and burning it after four days. Thomas Wake
reoccupied the site and is thought to have begun the stone tower in the
inner bailey, but it is unlikely that the tower saw much use after he died
in 1349."

During possession of Liddel, Cottingham does not appear to have been much
more than a moated manor house but was probably valued for the considerable
income the estate drew in.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers

Rosie